This department supports academic language development for our students who speak a language other than English at home. It focuses on the four domains of language: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Support is offered in multiple ways, determined by the language proficiency of the student:
- Instruction by the ELL teacher in a support class.
- Instruction with a bi-lingual assistant in core subject classrooms.
- Students are monitored by an ELL Case Manager. Support continues until student exits the ELL program by scoring at an L4 level on the state assessment, ELPA21.
English Language Learners Program “ELL program” at Jane Addams
- About 90 students at Jane Addams are served in the English Language Learners program. We have students at all levels of English proficiency, from beginners to highly advanced.
- Students qualify for services in the ELL program by taking an English proficiency test at the time of enrollment.
- Students in the ELL program take an annual English proficiency test. We don’t know if students will take the test this year (20-21).
- The ELL program at Jane Addams includes two full-time certificated teachers, four instructional assistants, and one administrator. We teach English classes and support students in their content classes. We are here to help!
- If you are not sure if your student is served in the ELL program, contact your student’s counselor.