Student Safety to & from Jane Addams Middle School
Safe Walking Habits
- Do not text, talk on your phone or use ear buds while walking.
- Always pay attention! When walking with friends, stop talking, look and listen before crossing the street.
- Use extra caution when walking in the dark and or bad weather. Wear bright colors.If you can, wear reflective clothing and/or carry a flashing light.
- Walk on a sidewalk when at all possible. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the curb or as close to the edge of the road as possible facing oncoming traffic.
Crossing the Street
- Do NOT cross in the middle of a block. Always cross at a designated crosswalk or at least a designated intersection.
- Obey all traffic signals and crossing guard instructions.
- Always make eye contact with drivers before you cross the street. Remember drivers may not obey the rules. They may not do what you expect them to. They may not see you!
- Wait until no traffic is coming before you cross. Keep looking for traffic while you cross!
- Always use the pedestrian safety flags at school intersections ? wave them and hold them out as you wait for cars to stop and while you cross. Leave them in the bucket on the other side.
Getting Dropped Off
- Always exit the car on the curbside, NOT into traffic!
- Remind whoever is driving to follow the traffic flow around Jane Addams and to drop you off on either 31st Avenue NE, 34th Avenue NE or NE 110th Street. Also, please remind them to not make U-turns anywhere!
Biking to School
- When biking to school obey all traffic laws, wear your helmet, have a bike light, and lock your bike in the Bicycle racks on the south side of the school. For more information about safe cycling, go to www.cascade.org/safety .
- If you can, plan a route to school that avoids busy streets such as Lake City Way, 35th Avenue NE, Sandpoint Way and NE 125th Street.
Entering Jane Addams Middle School
- Please enter through one of two designated student entrances: by the back portable/gym (31st Avenue NE) or the front side (34th Avenue NE). Do not enter through the back parking lot!
Riding a Metro Bus
- Follow all Metro bus rules (they are listed inside each bus.)
- If your bus did not arrive on time or was full and bypassed you, please call Metro immediately and let them know. King County Metro Phone Line: 206-553-3000