Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    PTSA Meeting Minutes
    August 28, 2017





    Jane Addams PTSA

    Board Meeting Agenda
    Monday, August 28, 2017

     

    1.     Secretary Kim Love — Approve minutes from June 7 Board meeting

    ·       June minutes stand approved

     

    2.     Presidents' Report — Kathy Gerke & Julie Bradley

    ·       PTSA Principles (Kathy) - attached

    ·       7:20-7:25: Conflict of interest forms (Julie)

    a)Board members need to fill out conflict of interest forms disclosing any connections/position that could potentially be a conflict of interest to being on the JAMS board

    ·       7:25-7:30: PTSA Calendar  (Kathy) - attached

    a) update April Meeting to the 16th to accommodate Spring Break

    b)Curriculum night not closed to students, discussion of whether to provide child care. Paula will talk to ASB and WEB leaders about the possibility of offering child care programming for younger kids (5-10 year olds). Revisit at September meeting

    c)  Board meeting in January tentative, based on whether we feel the need after having the General meeting

    ·       7:30-7:35: Contact Sheet Update (Kathy)

    a)Filling in some missing info, and will send out final to the board when done.

    ·       7:35-7:40: Still recruiting Chair positions (Kathy)

    a)Co-Transportation, Staff Appreciation, STEAM Fair

    1.     Steam Fair will start advertising

    2.     Job description to go out for Transportation

    a.     More messaging to go out about traffic patterns at drop-off and recruiting for traffic duty.

    b.     Building admin met with SDOT about getting a permit to close down the streets during drop-off times.

    ·       7:40-7:45: Board training opportunities

    a)Training opportunities available for all PTSA Board members. They're required for the Executive Committee, but open to PTSA members.

    ·       7:45-7:55: Standing Rules (Julie) - attached

    a)Standing Rules need to be approved at first General Meeting. If anyone has changes or suggested edits, let Kathy or Julie know.

    Discussion of Race and Equity Team transitioning from professional development to family and student outreach. 36 different languages are represented at JAMS. Talk about mirroring the education that the staff received to parents, and how best to reach immigrant parents. Paula does principal chats at Jackson Park, Lake City Library, Lake City Court.

    3.     7:55-8:00: Legislative Report — Ann Hilman & Rebecca Brito

    ·       5 New school openings

    ·       2 School Board meetings coming up

    ·       JAMS Waitlist – pretty small for gen ed, and will be dissolving soon.

    ·       WA State PTA trainings

    a)More regional trainings coming up, and webinars available to meet training requirements

    ·       SCPTSA looking at CSIPs and what happens with them once they're created.

    a)Also encouraging Schools of Excellence program

    1.     Last year's board Pres and VP discussed at length and opted not to do it. We'll revisit in the next few minutes.

    ·       Education Funding

    a) State decisions are scheduled to start getting made regarding McCleary and whether the state budget that was passed fulfills its requirements. More advocacy will be required this year.

    4.     8:00-8:20: Chair Reports

    ·       8:00-8:05: Membership (Julie Bisson)

    a)Memberships can be done online or mailed in. Julie will work with Heather, the Asst Treasurer about tracking membership money. Membership requests should be in the newsletter and PTSA presence should be at orientation events to recruit membership and volunteers.

    ·       8:05-8:10: Fundraising (Robin Goodman)

    a)Ask to include request for participation/volunteers

    1.     With push to get more commitments back, incentivizing with "Golden Jaguar" award

    b) Kick off at Curriculum night. Runs Oct 1-31

    c)  Event for parents to meet other parents

    d)Should coordinate with FOJAMS so fundraising efforts don't conflict

    ·       8:10-8:15: Volunteer (Suzanne Strandberg & Jenn Nickel)

    a)Updating asks for volunteers, and writing 6th grade parents who've already indicated interest. Will make another ask at Curriculum Night.

    1.     Will need to connect with ASB to support student events

    ·       8:15-8:20: Communications (Courtenay Schurman)

    a)Newsletter@JAMSptsa.org OR court@bodyresults.com

    b)First newsletter will go out this Friday, Deadline is Noon Thursday

    c)  Regular deadlines will be Thursday morning

    d)Long version in English with short translation in Spanish

    5.     8:20-8:30: Principal's Report — Paula Montgomery 

    ·        Asst Principal Chad Barnes

    a)JV sports will be included, but it has been discussed at the city-level that it could be cut.

    b)No athletics on Wednesdays

    c) Need for adult volunteers to support Ultimate, which is a no- cut sport

    d)Still hiring for Athletic Director

    ·       Principal Paula Montgomery (write Paula for names/roles)

    a)New teachers, math teacher, Ross Taylor (7th grade science teacher), Elena Worderoff (6th grade art), Michael van Bever (Senior Band)

    b)New Nurse – Part time Alison Angel (FT Tues, Weds + Thurs am)

    c) Special Ed now open

    d)CSIP – will focus on classroom environment, based on student survey results from last year. Gaps in discipline rates along racial lines.

    e)Construction is almost done. This is a repurposing, not remodeling.

    f)  Every math class is piloting curriculum and will have new books and materials (Glencoe, Envision)

    g) Every science teacher is piloting Amplify curriculum for gen ed. It's technology based. Teachers are training.

    h)JAMS awarded a planning grant through KC Health (SeaBert), to develop a plan for spending $150k each year over 5 years for mental health support. Grant is for 10k for planning.

    i)  Enrollment is 926. There might be a budget adjustment (original estimate was 955, so there might be a staffing reduction). Schools are being told that budgeting will be tighter next year, especially in light of lack of adequate funding. Most Adv Learning students on the waitlist are in Spectrum program which are not guaranteed seats like HCC students are. 10-15% mobility rate for students.

    j)  Sign-ups may go out to help teachers unpack from construction (Tuesday before school starts).

     

    Attachments: Board roster, Calendar, PTSA principles, Conflict of interest statement, Standing rules, June 2017 minutes